CONSTANLY needing antacids?

dtabor5
on 11/12/11 8:34 pm
I know I should never ignore, but i was thinking it was me not being good about diet and such and so i started making it a point to see what was causing it and poof.. it was EVERYTHING!
I have had an Endo done Pre-DS and it wasn't bad... but as easy as getting tipsy is now I can't wait!!! LOL..

thanks for the advise i will call around and find a Gastro-Doc Monday...

Denise

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

newyorkbitch
on 11/12/11 9:59 pm
In the meantime get yourself some OTC prilose (omeprazole) and take 20mg in the morning and 20mg in the evening.
Elia-B
on 11/12/11 10:39 pm
 I went through a spell where I was having some heart burn issues.  But, I think it was from taking calcium on an empty stomach right before going to bed.  I'd wake up later and have to search out tums.  I made the adjustment as to when I was taking my vitamins and the problem went away.

Good luck!
dtabor5
on 11/12/11 11:02 pm
I try to eat before I take vitamins and stuff....

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

mrsannie
on 11/12/11 11:02 pm
I have had reflux issues since the beginning.  My doc says many DS patients have this problem and many times it goes away but sometimes it doesn't.  I take a daily Rx of Prevacid DR 30mg and it works great.  If I don't take it I get issues.  You should see a Dr. then consider getting on daily medication.  Having a daily reflux problem is very damaging and can lead to future problems that are very serious!

Good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
(deactivated member)
on 11/12/11 11:47 pm

The DS doesn't cure GERD, at least that what I was told by my surgeon during the pre-op phase.  I had GERD going in, and I didn't care about curing it, I wanted to cure my SMO.  I told my surgeon I had no problems taking Nexiium (generic Omeprazole is what I get...damn insurance, but it works fine) for the rest of my life.

We no longer have that greater curvature, where stomach acid used to form a "pool", so now, if you have excess acid, just because, or its a reaction to nerves, there's not much it can do but flow upwards into the esophagus.

Proton pump inhibitors ROCK!
newyorkbitch
on 11/13/11 1:04 am
It varies from person to person.
mellysarah03
on 11/13/11 1:03 am, edited 11/13/11 1:05 am - Fort Myers, FL
 I had GERD before and at 3 years out I still have it and always will. As someone else said if you have excess acid, it now has nowhere to go but UP and so DS CAN make it worse (in my case this is true, especially when I lay down) My doc prescribed omeprazole, for six months. Which I ended up taking for well over a year. (OTC version after the script ran out) I would have continued to take it if it wasnt for the research that came out at that time that prolonged use was linked to bone loss issues. Which CAN be a problem for A) women in general B) DSers. I eat tums like candy now. =0( Try the omerpazole if that doesnt work see a GI. 

I used to make excuses why I cant Now I make reasons why I CAN!!
155LBS GONE FOREVER!! LIVING LIFE... I LOVE MY DS

newyorkbitch
on 11/13/11 1:13 am
 Please link to this research.  I have never been told this by any physician. I have been on omeprazole for over 15 years and had a DS 11.5 years ago and my bone density is completely normal.

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/11 2:02 am
That's Great, nyb!  I've never been told by a physician that omeprazole would cause bone issues, but I did read it somewhere (wish I had bookmarked it!), so I take extra calcium just because.  I'm going to be talking with a nurse Monday regrding my latest labs.
Most Active